Having farmed on the outskirts of Oswestry since 1956 the Thompson family started diversification of some of their land into a golfing venue in the early 1990s.
From the beginnings as a 12 bay driving range a full length 9 hole golf course was developed and opened on 6th June 1992. Due to the success of this a further 9 holes was completed in early 1995 and the full 18 hole course opened on May 18th 1996 by which time a modern clubhouse to fulfil all golfers requirements was also available.
The total length of the course is now 6,233 yards ( par 71 ) for the men and 5,322 yards ( par 72 ) for the ladies. The course covers over 135 acres, and includes a number of water features, notably the 3rd, 8th & 17th holes which have greens protected by large pools. The longest hole is the par 5, 542 yard 14th, complete with it’s two-tiered green. Many favourable comments are received on the superb design & “layout” of the course, as well as the fact that it really does offer challenges for golfers of all abilities. The 15,000 trees that were planted on the site have had a noticeable impact on the development of the golf course, as well as changing the aspect of the surrounding countryside for the better.
More recently the opening, in 2010, of Shropshire’s only two-tier driving range along with an indoor custom club-fitting & tuition room means Mile End is now recognised as the area’s most complete golfing centre. The driving range not only allows experienced golfers to improve their abilities but also attracts many newcomers who wish to try out the game for the first time.
Mile End has benefitted from the forward-thinking relationship built between Members & Proprietors which has proved extremely successful in the early years of the Club.
Mile End looks forward to the future as a modern facility that welcomes golfers of all ages & abilities.